Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why the iGeneration is Lost

I've been thinking a lot lately about my grandparents. They had no SAT prep; only two of them went to college before they had kids; they went to dance halls for fun; they listened to big band and Irish music; they got the hugest thrill from just holding hands. And they were, and still are, truly happy. Why is this so rare among anyone else I know?
Think about it. They lived much simpler, easier lives, and were able to get the most happiness out of the smell of baking bread, or every butterfly they saw. But us?
Let's take a poll- Raise your hand right now, and put it down when you read something that sounds like you could've said it. Are you ready? Let's begin.
"I prefer staying near my computer or TV to going outside- COD and Facebook are clearly better than anything outside the walls I sit within right now."
"Dancing and innocent party games are for wimps and nerds and (insert insulting slurs here). The only things worth doing at parties are drinking, drugs, and random hookups. If I left a club sober, and with the same number of contacts on my phone as when I got there, what was the point of going?"
"I can never be beautiful, because I look nothing like Jessica Alba or Heidi Klum, or any of those women I see in magazines."
"My phone is practically from the stone age- its a whole five months old, and my ringtone hasn't been changed in days."
"I NEED that new dress, or I'll die!!"
If you're from the iGeneration and you still have your hand up, I'd be surprised.
The above statements are no way to think, or to live, if you want to be as happy as your grandparents' generation was. My generation is jaded, cynical, and lost in consumerism, and the side effects- depression, eating disorders, and substance addictions- are ever prevalent.
To say the least, we need saving. So please, if you're affected by this post in any way, do what you can to help. Play a board game and make cookies with your kid siblings; go bowling or somewhere else in town with friends; put on swing music on the kitchen radio, and dance around with someone you love; stop judging anyone and everyone by impossible standards created with airbrushing in magazines; slow down and take time to appreciate everything around you as you walk down the street. And ask your grandparents to teach you how to dance like they did in the old days- I guarantee you'll have a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment