Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Russian Babies and Life Plans

When I was 15, I planned out the next 65-90 years of my life. I would work in theaters all over the world, and go on adventures, free from binding ties of obligation to anyone besides friends and family, until I turned 40. Then, I'd settle in one city and adopt twin baby boys from Russia. I'd name them Kyrill and Peter, and we'd live in a big apartment, probably in Chicago, and we'd all live happily ever after. I was set on this for the longest time, but now that'll have to change. Russia is in the middle of banning American adoption of Russian children. So there goes my plans.
This brings up two interesting points in my mind. It's remarkable how geopolitical tension can affect the lives of individuals, in ways I wish nobody ever had to consider. The supposed reasoning here, at least according to Russian officials, is that there are reports of abuse of Russian kids by their adoptive American parents. Something tells me this isn't the only thing going on, and that by saying this, I'm stating the obvious. If this was their real reasoning for any action, you'd think the action they'd be taking would be something smaller, less objectionable and more practical, like more rigorous screening of prospective adopters. It's not like Americans are all abusive, and the only abusive parents in the world. This dramatic action seems, rather, to be motivated by ill feeling between our countries, left over from the Cold War. What this means for you average citizen, of course, is that our lives can be changed easily in ways you'd never think. I certainly never expected the Kremlin to change the trajectory of my life, but here they have. They've also changed the trajectory of the lives of 46 little Russian children and the American families who were in the process of adopting them. All this, over a little geopolitical tension. Those affected have become pawns in a massive game of chess, it seems, and I'm not so sure I'm a fan of that.
Another thing I've taken from this is that planning your life isn't the best of ideas. Dreams and goals are great, of course, but falling in love with plans and getting your heart set on them can be risky business. Here I was, ready to commit myself to this scheme, and with one signature by Putin, my plan will go down the drain. Flexibility is key, because when the world gets in your way, you need to be able to bend to accommodate and get around what it throws at you.
So on that note, I have a few questions for you:
1. Has the tensions and relations between nations forced you to change your plans and goals in some way? Or have you ever noticed things like this go on? How do you feel about this new Russian ban?
2. Do you have long-term plans? Have you ever had to change them? And what works better for you - perseverance through rough times or compromising to maximize short-term happiness?
Leave your answers in the comments and tell me about your lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment